Thursday, April 15, 2010

capetown

We have finally arrived to Capetown! We completed our 5-day roadtrip this afternoon when we pulled up to the hotel in downtown Capetown. It feels great to finally be at our destination after 5 long days of driving and adrenlin-sucking events. We will stay the night here and then move into our orientation tomorrow morning. There we will find out if I spend the next couple weeks in homestays or at the Bibile Institute. It's a little strange not finding out where I will be living until the day I move in, but I guess that's just another adventure here!
Yesterday was a nice relaxing day after bungy jumping but we all felt the exhaustion after working up the energy to jump of a bridge. We started off our morning with a trip to the local ostrich farm. There we learned the interesting(?) facts about ostrich feathers and organs. We also got to feed ostriches which I found out are terrifying animals that resemble dinosaurs. We had the opportunity to ride ostriches too! I had wanted to before I actually saw the animals and quickly gave up that idea. Some of my friends got to ride the filthy birds and it was hilarious to watch!
After the ostrich farm we went to tour the Cango Caves. These caves are one of the 7 natural wonders of South Africa. With my claustrophobia I chose to stick with the normal walking cave tour as opposed to the "adventure" option a lot of my friends chose. I decided sliding through tiny crevices in the dark wasn't my idea of fun. It was beautiful, a little repetitive, but nonetheless fun. That night we mostly rested and played bananagrams (my new favorite game! birthday gift idea mom!)
Today we got some time to explore Long Street in Capetown and there were so many fun shops that reminded me of home. I could just see myself shopping with mom in all the fun boutiques!
My time's up at the internet cafe but I will update as soon as I can! Just under 3 weeks until I leave for the states. This is unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment