Sunday, February 14, 2010

just a stroll on the beach


Alyssa, Carisa, and I at the beach in Durban

My chalet dressed up for Valentines dinner
This last weekend made me realize just how much I love South Africa and how blessed I am to be here. Sometimes I just can't seem to wipe the goofy grin off my face!
We have gone to the beach in Durban twice now. One of my favorite memories so far has been from last weekend when we were riding back from the beach. I was staring out the window at the beautiful sun set, listening to music with 53 wonderful people. I was thinking about the semester so far and I was just consumed by everything. In that moment my thoughts were confirmed and I knew I was meant to be in Africa. That bus ride back to AE was a little different from the one we experienced last night. We had finished a beautiful (and scorching hot!) day at the local market and beach, and were on our way home for dinner. Within 15 minutes the weather instantly changed to intense thunder and lightening storms and hail! I could look outside the car window and literally see the jagged line of the lightening. Our driver, Philip, could barely see outside, it was crazy! But with the music loud and being warm and dry inside, it was a blast.
Anyways, rewind to the start of the day. We bussed to downtown Durban and were able to spend two hours in a local market. It was the first time I really shopped since I have been here. It was fun to explore the booths and dig through the bowls of beaded jewelry, stacks of funky paintings, and rows of pottery. It was interesting because most of the shop owners were Indian, and very pushy! Half the time I couldn't even make it in their shop before they were pinning jewelry on me or shoving spices in my face to smell. But I decided that if they were going to be eager to sell, I would be eager to bargain! My idea worked and I got some good deals.
After the market we made our way to the beach. We went to a different beach than last weekend. Although we were just further down the coast, it felt like we were swimming in a different ocean! The water was much colder, but it was appreciated since the sand would literally scald my feet as I hopped to my towel. We spent about four hours at the beach. I got to see some intricate sand sculptures and a Zulu tribe dancing. It was a beautiful afternoon.
Tonight we celebrated Valentines Day with a candlelight dinner and gift exchange. It was so fun to dress since we normally just throw on shorts to cope with the heat and humidity! After dinner we all salsa and swing danced together. It was a blast! I love the group of friends I get to have this adventure with!

"My life is like a stroll on the beach...as near to the edge as I can go."
-Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment