Monday, February 1, 2010

you say tomato, i say tomahto

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Not only was the weather beautiful--sun shining, bright blue skies--but I had a some beautiful experiences as well. I went to church for the first time since I've been in South Africa. I attended a local charismatic church with a few other students and one of our coordinators, Leslie. My observations: it was very long, it was incredibly hot, and the church members can dance! It was so wonderful experiencing the room fill with loud, passionate voices, large dance moves, clapping hands, and a lot of love. We sang songs that I recognized from home but I was also able to add a few Zulu songs to my repertoire. When those songs came on, it was incredible watching the energy in the room. Their excitement was bubbling over--a conga line even got started at the front of the church! I was tempted to join, but it didn't reach where I was standing.
During the service, I had the opportunity to play with Gloria's (our "go to" lady who helps us with everything and has such a big heart) 3-year-old grandson, Maynard. He is the cutest! He hung by me during the beginning of the service, dancing, hugging, squirming, and eating. So maybe I was a little distracted, but he was worth it! After the service had ended, he came back from his Sunday school class. I held out my arms for him to jump into, and when I picked him up...he KISSED ME! On the lips! I was a little shocked and thought it was hilarious...until he turned his head and started coughing. Great, that's all I need, getting mono from a 3-year-old. :) I told Bill he had some tough competition!
Leslie introduced us to some of the church members and the pastor's wife. Everyone was so welcoming, greeting us with arms wide open--like family. It's kind of comforting to know I'm establishing family members all over the globe! Anyways, I was feeling good about my Zulu, trying to say some phrases to the locals, when a woman came up and introduced herself to me. I tried repeating her name, "Bulala." She quickly gasped and said, "NO no NO!" I knew I had messed something up but didn't know what. She repeated her name the correct way, "Balela" and told me I had called her the word for "to kill" instead of the beautiful meaning "to shine." Oops! I guess I have a bit more to learn in Zulu class.
Two and a half hours after the service had begun, we finally made our way out of the parking lot and to McDonald's where Leslie treated us each to ice cream to combat the incredibly humid morning. We discussed the church service and had some great fellowship there. It was interesting hearing other's opinions and observations of the service. Finishing our ice cream I headed back to campus for a full afternoon of studying...first Zulu test tomorrow! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment