Tuesday, February 16, 2010

more to a name than i thought

The last few days have been so relaxing. My work load is minimal, the sun has been shining (until last night), and my spirits are high! I have taken the time to catch up on skyping, journaling, sleeping, exercising, and coffee shop runs! YES, COFFEE! There is a place close by called Coffeeberry. It is so good. I'm not sure if it's the heat or my coffee craving, but every drink I get seems to disappear in less than 10 minutes. Not quite like Tully's, but I try not to compare the two.
A few weeks ago, when classes were just beginning I asked my isiZulu professor if she could give us Zulu names. The people here take time and put much more thought into their children's names than we do in America. If a child is named "Apple" here, it is for a reason far more important than trying to draw attention for the wackiest baby name. Anyways, after 4 weeks of classes, our professor named us last night. Here's the list and a little bit of an explanation. It was so fun to hear how she had observed us for the past few weeks!

Hilary Khanyi- "Shining" I thought, how cute! She thinks I have a shining personality! Then she quickly added that she was naming me this for the way my hair shines in the light. I'll still take it. :)
Alex G Siphiwumusa- "We are given kindness and mercy" Alex does happen to be one of the kindest people I know, so kudos for accuracy, Professor Wynn.
Staci Zamavezi- "Evidence in trying and perseverance" I just met Staci when this trip began, but she is proving to be a very loyal friend and when classes are difficult, she doesn't give up.
Josh: Lethukuthula "Peace-bringer" I can definitely see Josh bringing peace. Yet, this is funny because he has one of the most contagious and explosive laughs I have ever heard, which definitely breaks up the rare quiet times!
Logan Lindokuhle "Good is expected" Logan is quite possibly one of the funniest people I've met. He means well in all that he does, and luckily Professor Wynn realizes this. She knows he has the ability to perform academically.
Alyssa Thando "Love" Alyssa is very loving toward anyone she encounters. I haven't heard a single negative comment leave her mouth. She is so encouraging.
Cynthia Ntombenhle "Pretty maiden" Our professor said she named Cynthia this because of her pretty features. She has a beautiful face (and personality) and it was neat for someone from a different culture to recognize this as well. Wynn noticed her eyebrows and eyes in particular.
Daniele Nonhlanhla "Princess of luck and good fortune" While this is the direct meaning, our professor described Daniele's happiness and joy. It is SO true! Daniele is always smiling and just beams joy in all directions.
Alex V Sibonelo "Example to others" Alex is very confident in who he is and stays true to his sense of character. He does end up setting an example to others because they see his consistency. I liked this one.
Allie Minenhle "Pretty fingers" We all laughed at this one. After all the others had such beautiful meanings, Allie was named for her pretty fingers. Our professor noticed the rings she always wears, so it's true, but there is so much more depth to Allie. She has a sense of happiness to her that seems to rub off on everyone she is around.
*Sidenote: My Zulu penpal is also named Minenhle.

Anyways, those are our new names! I absolutely love my class and professor. While I don't necessarily love going to it everyday, I am constantly amazed at how much I have learned in just 4 weeks. Also, I can't wait to actually use the language in conversation with the locals I encounter during our time of volunteering at service sites in the next few weeks. I think this is the most applicable class I have taken in my academic career. So cool!

Sala kahle.
Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment