Thursday, February 25, 2010

man in the mirror

Yesterday we had the opportunity to go listen to the Drakensburg Boys Choir. We drove a total of four hours to see them, so we figured they had to be talented. These 7-16 year old boys were incredibly gifted! The first half of the program, they sang long and foreign classical songs that started lulling me to sleep. But before intermission they informed the audience that they wanted to sing a couple "American classics." What else would they sing besides Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror." It was great! They tried throwing in some classic MJ moves and it was hysterical.
During intermission I met a man named Malcom. He had grown up in Durban and then moved to Savannah, Georgia in 1976. We chatted all about his childhood and how he went to Oxford for college. He travels to SA once a year to visit his nieces and nephews for six weeks. He asked me about the foods I had tried and it felt good to say I had tried tongue. I'm such a local now thanks to my penpal. Anyways, it was fun hearing about his life.
Eventually part two of the afternoon began and they boys performed traditional Zulu dances. It was SO cool. They did a few dances and songs in Zulu, Xhosa, and English. They did one performance imitating the weather. I video taped it (thanks Mom and Dad) and will try to upload it soon. They used only their bodies to create the sounds of nature in SA. I was so impressed!
We loaded the bus and I promptly turned on the actual "Man in the Mirror" and we all rocked out. We had a fun two hour drive back to AE filled with dancing, singing at the top of our lungs, and "oohing & awing" at the beautiful scenery. I absolutely love the family I am on this adventure with.

No comments:

Post a Comment