Wednesday, March 10, 2010

bonginkosi, bring it on!

Tomorrow we begin our service sites. All semester we have been visiting each of the 5 sites to figure out which we felt called to volunteer at for the next 4 weeks. A few weeks ago we submitted our preferences and of course, I didn't get assigned to any of my top 2. I got number 4 on my list. They had to choose 5 people to take the site that wasn't in their top choices. Naturally, they knew I wouldn't argue so I got chosen to be in that group of 5. I'm beginning to think I should come across with a bit more of an attitude sometimes? Nah. Anyways, I was assigned to work at a local preschool, Bonginkosi, with 4 wonderful peers. I know that I will learn so much in this experience and will be stretched far more than I could ever imagine.
I remember walking away from the site when we visited, thinking, 'This is too easy, I've worked with kids before. I need a bigger challenge.' Who knew that where I thought was going to be the easiest would be where God is going to teach me the most and take me the furthest out of my comfort zone?
I've actually been pretty anxious about some of the details of the site. Today we had a meeting about it and my anxiety and frustration only increased. There are probably about 50 kids in a tiny 4-room building being taught by only 2 teachers. There are only 2 women who even work there! When we visited, the kids were absolutely precious, but didn't speak a lick of English. I would try and ask them their name in Zulu (I thought I did a pretty good job) and they would either stare blankly, or respond so quietly and quickly that I was forced to pull a name out of my head to just try and continue the "conversation." I would throw out a name, "....Lale..flower?" And they would respond with a look of confusion and disgust, and promptly move on to the next person. Haha, it's really funny in retrospect, but a little frustrating at the time. Not to mention the "oatmeal" they were being fed was smeared all over their faces as they run at you, arms outstretched, wanting to climb you like a tree! Anyways, in addition to that challenge, tonight I found out that there is basically no plan for us in the next 4 weeks. I was so discouraged to hear that there is no schedule and no set plan. I am an organized planner. This will be so hard. I have already whipped out my notebook to jot down some ideas of what to do, but I'm overwhelmed and nervous that there will be no impact or aid provided to the children and their families this semester due to disorganization.
Naturally, after our meeting I tearfully called mom and just waited for her comforting words of wisdom and encouragement. Like always, it helped. I am confidant that these next 4 weeks will bring discomfort, frustration, joy, laughter, sickness (me+50 snotty kids=guaranteed cold), and growth. I am nervous yet excited for the possibilities and opportunities. I would appreciate your prayer and thoughts as I start this new chapter here in Africa!

Link to Bonginkosi's website: http://bonginkosi.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment