Today was a scorching hot day filled with sweat, love, and nail polish. We started out the day working at Mandla's house. In order to finish the foundation of the walls we needed to carry a lot of materials to the site. I made at least 5 trips back and forth, carrying bamboo-like poles. These poles are attached to the outside of the wire mesh on the walls to help keep the walls strong. We then filled with walls with the remaining rubble and rocks. It was such a long process, that was slowed down by the huge language barrier we share with Michael, the project coordinator. He doesn't speak a drop of English, making it very hard for him to explain what projects need to be accomplished. To make it a little more complicated, his stubbornness and desire to be involved in every step of the process makes it take a little longer. Try building a house by yourself. That's sort of what it's like and it ain't easy! There are so many of us just waiting to be put to work so it can be frustrating at times. Luckily we were able to implement many assembly-lines to get tasks done quicker and involve more people.
I made a new friend yesterday, and today our relationship was deepened. My new friend (whose name is still incomprehensible due to the quiet jibberish she mumbles) hung out with me all day. This 3-year-old cutie has a precious smile that shines despite the sore she has on her eye. She pointed to her wounds today almost as if she was asking for help. I was sorry I couldn't help her with something that was so obviously painful. Nonetheless, she was always in my arms or holding my hand today. She walked with me to carry supplies to the site, handed me rocks in the assembly line, and even fell asleep with her head buried in my neck. Eventually she began calling me "mama" and was content just being carried in my arms from task to task. When it came time for lunch, I handed her off to a friend. I said goodbye and began walking back to WITL. My friend Allie called out my name and pointed to my little love who had wiggled out of Allie's arms to follow me to WITL. We intertwined our fingers and headed to lunch together. Lunch buddies. I like that. Her loyalty never ceased, she even waited on my chair patiently for me to go get my lunch in the house. I came out and there she was sitting there with a big smile on her face. She sat on my lap contently as we shared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich under the shade of a tree. That is a memory I will never forget.
In the afternoon I stayed back at WITL and helped out with the gogo's. We painted their nails (Katie painted 18 women's nails "Cherry Red" in record time!), played card games, and had them paint a large barrel outside with their handprints. It was our last time with the gogo's, so we took a group picture and hugged them goodbye. It is really starting to set in that tomorrow is our last day. It is crazy to think about. Our adventures are coming to a close but just starting too! Playing with the kids today and becoming more and more attached to them caused me to recognize how difficult it will be to leave. What a wonderful chapter in my life that I never want to lose.
No comments:
Post a Comment